The original Greek Revival house was built in 1833 and the modernist addition was built in 1936 to accommodate a private art collection. Our clients, art professionals themselves, purchased the house after relocating to Connecticut in 2016.
This 5,600-square-foot renovation specifically focused on upgrading the kitchen, bathrooms, and mechanical systems. The strength of this project was rooted in just how lightly we needed to touch the existing house. Our design embraced what was there as we made subtle floor plan alterations and modifications to existing millwork and general finishes.
The design elements in this historic home complement the passions of its owners, providing an eclectic backdrop to display their much-cherished art collection. Taking a regional approach, we sourced furnishings from Western Connecticut and the Hudson Valley, which were mingled with the family’s heirlooms. This makes the entire home feel like it has been filled with items collected over time and effortlessly placed together.
The property has a romantic history of celebrated artists and writers seeking refuge there from New York. During the late 1930s and ’40s, Alexander Calder and Salvador Dali often visited the house, as they were good friends of MOMA curator James Thrall Soby. Soby commissioned the modernist addition to accommodate his ambitious art collection. Our clients’ own robust art collection, including a display of drawings by Alexander Calder, continues to honor this legacy.